Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- Main Street Bakery has closed for conversion to a new Starbucks location expected to open June 19.
- Mad Tea Party will be closed for refurbishment from April 10 through May 22.
- Updated – Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed for refurbishment from July27 through July 30.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Treasures of the Seven Seas, a new interactive game is set to debut in the Magic Kingdom summer 2013. in the game, the fate of piracy in the Caribbean rests in the hands of new pirate recruits, who, armed with magic talismans and treasure maps, embark on five different pirate raids throughout Adventureland to collect valuable treasures, while Captain Jack Sparrow’s magic compass guides them.
- The Fantasyland Expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. Fairytale Hall will open in late 2013 in the former spot of Snow White’s Scary Adventure. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarves Mine Train will open in Fantasyland sometime 2014.
- Temporary Character Spot location near the current location will be open for Guests to greet Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. The temporary location can be found between the restrooms and Club Cool. Relocation back to Innoventions West is to be determined.
- Spice Road Table, a new restaurant in the Morocco Pavilion is currently under construction and is expected to open by the end of 2013. Spice Road Table will feature various small plates and refreshments inspired by the cuisine of the Mediterranean with seating both indoors and out. The new restaurant will sit at the water’s edge and offer another great view of Illuminations.
- Fountain View Ice Cream Shop closed April 8 for conversion to a new Starbucks location, expected to open August 2.
- L’Artisan des Glaces, a new artisan ice cream and sorbet shop, is slated to open June 2013 in the France Pavilion where the bakery was previously located. The new ice cream parlor will serve 10 flavors of ice cream and 6 flavors of sorbet – and for grown-ups, there’s the option of adding liqueurs.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Both the Disney Channel Rocks! show and the Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade ended permanently on April 6.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- The Anandapur Ice Cream Truck, located on the walkway to Expedition Everest, will be closed for refurbishment from April 14 through May 24.
- Wilderness Explorers, a new interactive quest aimed at guests 7-10 but fun for the entire family, is coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom very soon. Taking the official pledge, armed with field guides and earning sticker badges along the way as they complete their challenges, guests explore the park at their leisure. Wilderness Explorers will be self-guided and encourage more “up close and personal” time with the animal inhabitants of the park.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements to bring the world of Pandora to life. Construction expected to begin by 2013.
Disneyland Closures and Rehabs
- Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries has opened at Innoventions. The new exhibit features actual set pieces from the film “Iron Man 3,” opening in theaters May 3. Guests will have the chance to see Tony Stark’s Hall of Armor, featuring Iron Man suits Mark I-VII – the same suits featured in “Iron Man 3.” And you will even be able to virtually “suit up,” yourself!
- Market House closed on April 15 for conversion to Starbucks opening this fall.
- Fantasyland Theatre will be closed for refurbishment and the addition of a new show until May 25. When the theater reopens, it will offer a spectacular live entertainment experience, “Mickey and the Magical Map.”
- Troubadour Treats will be closed for refurbishment through May 22.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from January 7 through October 30
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
Currently there are no scheduled refurbishments
- Typhoon Lagoon closes October 27 for it’s annual refurbishment.
When you get in trouble and you don’t know right from wrong
Give a little whistle! Give a little whistle! – Jiminy Cricket
Q. I am so excited that they posted the dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2013. But which day is the best to go? Our trip is the week of Nov 17 – 24. The party is going to be held on the Sunday that we arrive and also on the Thursday and Friday nights that we are there. When should we consider going? (Melanie)
Star Wars Weekend Tip: Don’t miss the Stormtroopers that stand on top of the entrance marquee at park opening. It’s great fun to watch them interact with guests waiting in line for the park to open. You’ll have to get there early to see one of Star Wars Weekends’ best shows.
Be Our Guest Podcast Featured Tip:
From Episode 542: Listener Questions
Ms. Lost got lost in the circus, finding Casey Junior and his Splash Zone in the Storybook Circus section of New Fantasyland! Congratulations to Tammy T.!
Ms. Lost found herself swimming with the fishes…where can you find her?
If you think that you can help, please email your answer to us. email@example.com
Send in your guess by May 25. Please be as specific as possible, noting not only the park but the specific ride, attraction, or section where the picture was taken. For instance, instead of saying, “Epcot,” say, “At Epcot at Maelstrom” (which isn’t this week’s answer). One random entry from all correct entries will receive a Disney trading pin.