Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- The Lunching Pad is closed through August 1. The Lunching Pad will have limited serving window capacity throughout this work.
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover is closed through August 4.
- Astro Orbiter is closed through September 19.
- Updated – The Yankee Trader in Liberty Square will be closed from July 30 through September 30. Word is that the store will be transformed into a new Haunted Mansion gift shop, featuring an on-ride photo pickup location and Haunted Mansion merchandise.
- The Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment from August 4 – 8.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will be closed for refurbishment from September 8 – 19.
- New – Walt Disney World Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from September 28 through November 8. Email notification is being sent to guests who had booked the ‘Disney’s Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour.’
- Carousel of Progress will close for a refurbishment from September 22 -27.
- Walt Disney World Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from September 28 through November 8.
- New – The Magic Carpets of Aladdin will be closed for refurbishment from November 10 through to November 21
- Cinderella’s Royal Table will be closed for refurbishment from January 5 – March 6, 2015.
- Cinderella Castle moat has been drained. This work is being done as part of a larger project that will create a second ring around the current hub that adds more walkways and dedicated viewing areas for Magic Kingdom fireworks and parades, as well as sculpted gardens. This multi-phase enhancement project will be completed in 2015.
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- The American Idol Experience will close in January 2015 according to a joint announcement by Disney and FreemantleMedia. There is no word yet as to what may fill the vacant space in the future.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- It’s Tough To Be A Bug is closed through August 11.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar-inspired Land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. In preparation for the new land, Camp Minnie-Mickey has closed permanently. Construction on Avatarland is expected to wrap up around 2017.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed for refurbishment from October 26 through December 20.
- Blizzard Beach will be closed for annual refurbishment from January 4 through March 14.
Downtown Disney (WDW)
- Pearl Factory will be closed through July 27.
- Forty Thirst Street will be closed through August 11.
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
Disneyland Resort Closures and Rehabs
- Captain EO has closed and in its place at the Magic Eye Theater is a sneak preview of Marvel’s upcoming “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie. Captain EO is expected to return at a later date.
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be closed for refurbishment through September 26.
- Updated – Club 33, Disney’s membership-for-a-fee restaurant located in New Orleans Square has reopened from an extensive expansion with a new entrance and foyer located in the former Court of Angels. Also included in the renovation was an updated kitchen with a new culinary team, a new dining room (Le Grand Salon), and a new lounge (Le Salon Nouveau).
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- Blue Sky Cellar is closed through September 27.
Outside the Theme Parks
Disney’s All-Star Music Resort:
- Intermission Food Court will undergo refurbishment from August 1 through December 20. During the refurbishment a temporary grab ‘n’ go location will be setup in the Melody Hall lobby arcade area. Offerings will include salads, sandwiches and desserts, as well as a Refillable mug station. The Singing Spirits bar will also provide food options and a refillable mug station. Transportation to Disney’s All Star Sports Resort will also be provided to guests who would like to dine at the recently refurbished End Zone Food Court.
Disney’s BoardWalk Resort:
- Updated – Kouzzina Restaurant by Cat Cora will be closing permanently after September 30. A new Italian restaurant will open at the BoardWalk called Trattoria al Forno in December 2014. In the interim, the Flying Fish Cafe at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort will be offering breakfast for a limited period between October 1 and December 7, with seating from 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa:
- The Perfectly Princess Tea Party will take place at Citricos instead of the Garden View Tea Room through August 29.
- Resort Renovations have begun at the Polynesian Resort that will enhance the entire resort and add a new Disney Vacation Club property to the resort. As part of these ongoing renovation projects, views in some Guest rooms have been impacted. In order to accommodate guests, Disney has made changes to certain room categories in impacted buildings. The renovation will impact views from some rooms in buildings 5, 9, 10 and 11. Also, a portion of the east parking lot nearest to building 11 may be closed. In addition to that, access to the beach area on the east side of the resort, as well as Sunset Pointe (the grassy hill overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon, located between the east beach and the main beach near the Nanea Volcano pool), will be unavailable. Construction is expected to be completed March 2015.
- Captain Cook’s is closed for refurbishment through sometime in August. An alternate Dining Experience is available.
- The Walkway between TTC and Disney’s Polynesian Resort has closed to accommodate renovations at Disney’s Polynesian Resort. Pedestrians will be directed to use a different path between the two locations.
- Great Ceremonial House Lobby will be under refurbishment through December 15.
- Updated – Trader Jack’s and Samoa Snacks is scheduled for refurbishment through December 31
- The Volcano Pool will be closed from July 26 through March 2015
- Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto is a new lounge, based on the popular themed lounge at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, CA, opening at the Polynesian resort in 2015. The resort is also expected to return to its original name, ‘Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort,’ in 2015.
Wilderness Lodge Resort:
- Silver Creek Springs Pool will undergo refurbishment from September 3 through November 27. During this time, the quiet pool will remain open. Guests will also be able to use the pools at both Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and Disney’s Contemporary Resort, with transportation provided to both.
Elsewhere at Walt Disney World
- The Walt Disney World Monorail System will operate on a new time table to accommodate work on automation upgrades with more efficient service and enhanced safety. The following schedule will be in place through the summer of 2014: Magic Kingdom beam – 8:30 am to midnight; Magic Kingdom Express beam – 9:30 am to 11:30 pm; Epcot beam – 9 am to 11 pm. Additional buses and watercraft will be available during periods when the monorail is not in operation.
- Magnolia golf course will be closed from August 4 through August 8 and October 20 through October 26.
- Oak Trail golf course will be closed from August 11 through August 13 and October 27 through November 2.
- Lake Buena Vista golf course will be closed from August 11 through August 15 and October 27 through November 2.
- Palm golf course will be closed from August 18 through August 22 and November 3 through November 9.
- Updated – Osprey Ridge golf courseits pro shop and the Sand Trap restaurant has closed to transition over to a course for the Four Seasons resort and is scheduled to reopen on September 1, 2014 as the Tranquilo Golf Club. The Tranquilo Golf Club will be available to people not staying at the resort or people who are not Golden Oak residents.
Upcoming Events at the Walt Disney World
- Harambe Nights, June 7 – August 9. (Saturdays Only. Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Frozen Summer Fun Live, Daily through September 1.
- Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, Select nights September 1 – October 31 (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Night of Joy, September 5 & 6. (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Tower of Terror 10 Miler Weekend, October 3 – 4.
- Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend, November 7-9.
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, Select nights November 7 – December 19. (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, January 7-11, 2015.
- Princess Half Marathon Weekend, February 19 – 22, 2015.
- Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, March 4 – May 17, 2015.
- Expedition Everest Challenge, May 1-2, 2015.
Upcoming Events at Disneyland Resort
- Disneyland Half Marathon, August 29-30.
- Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend, November 14 -16.
- Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend, January 15 – 18, 2015
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, May 7-10, 2015.
- D23 Expo, August 14 – 16, 2015.